1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Custody And Support
  4.  | Grandparent And Third-Party Custody

Grandparent And Third-Party Custody In Indianapolis

If you are seeking answers regarding your rights to visitation as a grandparent or your rights to custody as a third party, our attorneys at Ruppert & Schaefer, P.C., can help. We stay up to date on the latest changes in Indiana family laws and will be able to guide you through any issues you are having.

We listen carefully to our clients’ needs, concerns, and hopes for the future. We understand that your relationship with your family is important, and we will strive to ensure that your best interests and the interests of your loved ones are protected.

Call us at 317-660-8150 or contact our law firm online to arrange a consultation.

Assisting Grandparents With Their Visitation Rights

As experienced family law attorneys, we have helped numerous grandparents achieve their visitation goals. Situations allowing grandparents to seek visitation rights include:

  • A child’s parent is deceased
  • The marriage of the child’s parents has been dissolved
  • The child is born out of wedlock, and the child’s father has established paternity

Our family law attorneys will explain all your options to you and guide you down the right path.

Third-Party Custody Issues In Indiana

Third-party custody issues arise when a person who is not the parent of a child has custody or is seeking custody of the child. Indiana law presumes that the custody of the child should be with that child’s natural parents. This presumption, called parental presumption, is a strong one. It can only be overcome by a stronger showing that the best interests of the child are served by placing him or her with the third party.

“Clear and convincing” evidence has to be presented to overcome the parental presumption. This evidence has a higher burden of proof than normal family law issues. Cases involving third-party custody, support and other child issues can become complicated very quickly. It is important to consult with an experienced attorney who has handled these types of cases before. Our lawyers at Ruppert & Schaefer, P.C., have an extensive understanding of the laws in this area and can help you resolve your problems.

Contact us regarding grandparent visitation and third-party custody issues by reaching out online or calling 317-660-8150.